Tuesday, December 10, 2013

Cranberry Dark Chocolate Muffins


If you know me in real life, you know my obsession with cupcakes, which has grown into an obsession with muffins. Same basic principle, right? They're an easy breakfast for on the go, which is good since my almost 2 year old is always on the go. And, they even satisfy his very picky eating habits. They also make a great snack anytime of the day. I shared with you my Chocolate Banana Bread recipe that I've been making a lot as muffins lately, last month. My newest favorite muffin recipe was also adapted from a bread recipe that I found on pinterest. I've modified it a bit, and came up with these delicious Cranberry Dark Chocolate Muffins.
 
First of all, melt your butter. I like to do it in a small pan on the stove, and set it aside to cool. You can also do it in the microwave.

Next, whisk together your dry ingredients.
 

 In another bowl combine your butter, eggs, and milk. Add your wet ingredients to your dry ingredients.
I like to take my cranberries (that I've rinsed and patted dry)and add them to my chocolate chips and toss them with a little flour. This is a small step that will keep your added ingredients from sinking to the bottom of your muffins. I use this trick any time I add chocolate chips to anything.
Take your mix-ins and fold them into your batter.
 
 
I take a 1/4 cup measuring cup and ladle the batter into a greased and floured muffin tin.
 
 
Almost every time I make this recipe I come up with 16 muffins. But, it all depends on how much batter you put into each hole.
 
I will also admit that this recipe calls for light brown sugar, but I was out this time. So, I ended up using regular sugar instead. They turned out just fine, but I think I probably prefer them with the brown. I've even made them with 1/2 sugar and 1/2 brown sugar and they were just as tasty. Sometimes you just have to work with what you have.
 
Also, as far as the amount of chocolate chips goes, I wrote that I use 1/2 a cup, but I usually end up adding in a little extra. More chocolate can't ever hurt, right?!
 
Here's the full recipe: Cranberry Dark Chocolate Muffins
 
-4 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (and cooled)
-2 cups all purpose flour
-1 cup light brown sugar
-1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
-1/2 teaspoon baking soda
-1 teaspoon salt
-1 large egg, slightly beaten
-3/4 cup whole milk
-1/2 bag cranberries (approximately 6oz)
-about 1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
 
1.) Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter and flour a muffin pan. (I just used baking spray). In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
 
2.) In another bowl, combine butter, egg, and milk. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix until combined.
 
3.) Fold in cranberries and chocolate chips.
 
4.) Separate batter in muffin pan and bake about 20 minutes, until done.
 
5.) Enjoy!
 
There's something decadent about having a little dark chocolate for breakfast, isn't there?
 
What are some of your favorite muffin recipes?
 
Stay tuned for some more Holiday posts coming soon!
 
Linking:
 


1 comment:

  1. Hi Mrs Bishop: I'm a new GFC friend. These look awesome, I'm going to pin. Here's a recipe similar that I posted only it's bread. http://hotflashncraftn.blogspot.mx/2013/11/mothers-cranberry-bread.html, of course everything taste better with chocolate.

    ReplyDelete